Friday 29 January 2010

Album covers

This album cover is quite surreal, the band members are manipulated to appear plastic. This is quite a neat piece of editing, with quite a simple idea. There is quite a solid texture to the image, the shine on the plastic look shows this. The colours are very bright and alluring, and seem to be the focus of the image. This image was taken in a studio so there is artificial lighting used. I think as a cover it works well with the simplicity, and yet the colours can catch a viewers eye. The main focus of the image is very well seperated; the text and image are not mixed.
I find this cover very interesting. I like the lighting in the image; it is natural, but most probably with the added use of a flashgun and other photography equipment. It is quite an ironic image, with the model taking a photograph of the photographer taking a photograph of the model. It is a simple layout, the bold text makes it stand out and work well. The colours are slightly desaturated to create a soft texture to the image. I would definately use an image such as this one for my own project.

This cover is completely graphics based. I don't believe much or any photography has taken place to create this cover. On the other hand I do think it works well for its audience and genre of music (rock). The colours are simple yet powerful, and I think that this was a good decision to allow the cover to appear busy yet plain.


This image is very beautiful and digitally manipulated. I think it is very simple, which works well for an album cover. The cover is just the artists face, which is advertisement at its best. The viewer can see who the artist is just from the cover, and there is no question on who this is. There is simple text at the top of the image of the artist name, which is in bright white bold lettering.



This cover is from a pschobilly punk band, so the album cover is slightly different to those I have already shown. The image is a photograph of the main band member, and has been manipulated into the digital imaging aspects of the cover. The composition of this cover is great; the colours are simple and the white background allows anything and everything to stand out.




This cover appeals to me as it is alike to The Auteur's one. The photograph is of the artist, and is taken on location. The lighting is natural, and the image has a very nature inspired feel to it. The text is simple and bold.





This cover is quite surreal and disturbing, but for the genre of music it is promoting (metal) it works quite well. The text is quite different to the others covers shown, it is the main body of the cover, but has been decreased in opacity so that an image can sit and be the main aspect of the cover. This works really well in my opinion as you can appreciate the entire cover without missing anything.






This cover has quite a vintage look to it in my opinion, I really like the colours used. I personally think it is a photograph of an object, which has been digitally manipulated to be a part of this cover. I like this idea as it has a sense of authenticity.







This cover is taken from a very famous and well known band, but in my opinion this cover is shameful. There is no recognition to the band genre or who the band are. The image is simple and quite ordinary in my opinion, and the editing in three of the many windows does not match the rest of the cover. I don't think the cover works at all, and if I saw this in a shop I wouldn't look twice at it. On the other hand, others would say it is original and independent.








No comments:

Post a Comment